Wednesday 7 September 2011

Boardwalk Empire Is Bringing Back Old School Subways

Image courtesy of Gothamist
Boardwalk Empire Is Bringing Back Old School Subways

A wizard wheeze from HBO, makers of the hit U.S. television series Boardwalk Empire, who have brought an actual 1920s subway train out of retirement and with the assistance of the New York Transit Authority are running it on a limited basis on one of the Manhattan lines for every weekend throughout September!
Image courtesy of Gothamist
The London Transport Museum and London Underground have done similar one-offs in the past with 1930s-era stock, but nothing as old as the '20s I think.  It must be quite an experience; it's just a pity there's a great big ocean between me and it, else I'd probably be on it every weekend!  Well, it's reminded me to keep an eye out for any vintage LU runs in the future, anyway*.  Some videos have already surfaced on YouTube which give a good sense of travelling on a 1920s subway train.  It looks like fun!




Incidentally has anyone actually seen Boardwalk Empire yet?  Is it as good as I hear?  I'm amazed the first series hasn't already been snapped up by Channel 4 or someone.  For the likes of me who refuse to further line the pockets of the Murdoch empire it is most frustrating!  I want my Twenties fix! ;-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*While searching the Interweb to confirm my memory of the LU/London Transport Museum heritage runs, I've discovered there's another one this Sunday, the 11th September, up at the end of the Metropolitan line between Harrow-on-the-Hill, Rickmansworth and Amersham.  The museum's 1938 train and locomotive are being given an airing and there's even a competition for the best period-dressed passenger!  It may be a little late in the day (certainly is for me, not to mention a little bit of a trek for me at the moment) but I thought I'd bring it to your attention anyway.  Details here.

10 comments:

  1. This looks fantastic, though it's a shame it won't be a permanent service - I'm in no rush to get around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look amazing! I know there are many raving about Baordwalk Empire, I saw a few episodes and got bored, really.
    Here's some fun:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5l2F9oOCl9s

    ReplyDelete
  3. How awesome would that be! 20s fix? I keep watching Brideshead Revisited..*sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful if only I could be in London this Sunday instead of at work, sound just my kind of day out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. I think they should reinstate ALL old tubes/subway carts. Such a nice atmosphere to be in - i bet it would make people alot more friendly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My friend in America sent me this story too, it's wonderful isn't it. I so wish I could be there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My friend in America sent me a link to this story. I would love to be able to ride this train it's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is good news. But wiil Boardwalk Empire bring back the Manhattan without the, you know, 'newcomers' infecting the city streets since the 1960s?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! I am so desperate to see Boardwalk Empire, but I, too, refuse to line the pockets of Murdoch.

    Why isn't it out to buy yet? That's what I want to know!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The first series was very good and atmospheric, I saw it on Sky Atlantic, however unfortunately I don't have it anymore so will have to wait a while for the second series, which from the trailer looks even better

    ReplyDelete

Don't just sit there, type something! I enjoy reading all friendly and positive comments.

Followers

Popular Posts