Tuesday 22 March 2011

The Fleet's Lit Up!

Things have been quiet again lately in my world of vintage; news seems to be dominated by unfortunate world events, which is not what this blog is about, and the last few days have been uneventful for me personally.  However I've got a few posts lined up for the next week or so, more on that later.


This hasn't stopped The Vintage Knitter from bestowing upon this blog a little award - The Liebster Blog Award (The Lovely Blog Award, if my A-level German hasn't failed me!), which is especially for blogs with fewer than 300 followers.  My thanks to VK for the thought, and off my own bat I choose to pass on the award to the following 10 fellow bloggers:


Speaking of followers, a hearty welcome to the latest batch who have stumbled across my corner of the Interweb and decided to stay.  It seems like only yesterday that there were 70 of you - now I'm up to 93!  Nearly at the ton, what?  A giveaway!  I promised a giveaway at some point, and by Jove I'll have one when I reach 100 followers!



I leave you with this infamous and hilarious recording from the early years of B.B.C. radio.  The "Woodrooffe Incident" or "The Fleet's Lit Up" occurred during the 1937 Spithead Review (where H.M. The King inspected the Royal Navy fleet at Spithead, off the Hampshire coast).  Lt. Commander Thomas Woodrooffe was an ex-RN man employed by the B.B.C. to present the review on the wireless.  It just so happened that HMS Nelson, the flagship from which he was broadcasting, was his old ship and he knew many of the crew.  He made the mistake of engaging in a bit of a knees-up with them prior to going on the air and subsequently, as you can hear, was three sheets to the wind when it came time to tell what was going on!  It is said that the repeated phrase "lit up" later became a synonym for "drunk"; Woodrooffe actually denied he was plastered, claiming instead that he was "tired and emotional" (another synonym, perhaps?!) being the only B.B.C. man covering the event.  He was suspended for a week but kept his job, later commentating on the 1938 FA Cup final where he stated - 1 minute from full time - that "if there's a goal scored now, I'll eat my hat".  You can probably guess what happened next..

8 comments:

  1. Thank you for the kind award and was he the first to coin the phrase 'tired and emotional' that so many celebrities use now I wonder?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic Woodrooffe incident! I'll be sure to keep an eye out & ear to the ground when the double bullseye is reached & am sure it wil be in no time at all! And thank you kind Sir for the inclusion of the humble Dandy's Blog in your Top Ten!

    Pip Pip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Good Man,
    Thanks a lot for the honour. I'm much obliged to you.
    VB

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on the award, and thank you for passing it on, I'm honoured. You've just provided me with another blog post for this week! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for the award! :)
    and who framed roger rabbit used to scare me too, i cant believe my parents let me watch that movie. it has such a mature theme. :o

    oh and ill definetly check out "electro-swing". ive never heard of that before.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the award - tis indeed a lovely blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much - I did a post about my 'Brucey Bonus'!

    I look forward to more Captain Hasting's posts, I really don't know much about mens' vintage fashion so am keen to learn!

    Miss P xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on your award and thank you soo much for mine!
    Love that Audio clip its hilarious! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Don't just sit there, type something! I enjoy reading all friendly and positive comments.

Followers

Popular Posts