Monday 15 February 2010

Palace Hotel owners honour Laurel and Hardy

Two of my all-time favourite comedians, nay actors, are Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy. I have been a fan of them since I was 9 years old. Together they made some of the funniest films the world has ever known and their wonderful humour is as fresh and accessible today as it was at the height of their powers.

So I was pleased to see this small acknowledgement of a visit they made to my local town, Southend, when they were touring the British variety theatres back in the early 1950s. The Palace Hotel was where they would have stayed while performing at the local theatre and it is heartening to see this fact appreciated as part of the hotel's renovation.

The joy and laughter given to us by Stan and Ollie has never diminished in the 80 years since they made their best pictures and this little story just goes to prove that their work will continue to be well-regarded and enjoyed for as many years (if not more) to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't just sit there, type something! I enjoy reading all friendly and positive comments.

Followers

Popular Posts